I. Directions: Translate the following words, abbreviations or terminology into their target language respectively. (30’)
11. High Definition Television
12. Emotional Quotient
13. Save Our Souls
14. Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome –
15. International Maritime Committee
II. Directions: Translate the following two source texts into their target language respectively.
1. It was thought that withdrawal from employment to complete domesticity did not have the same profound significance, and was a far less threatening experience, for older women than it was for older men. However, Jacobson’s own inquiry among industrial workers in their 50s showed that the women tended to view retirement less favorably than did the men，Jacobson remarked that for both sexes, a favorable orientation towards retirement appeared to reflect constraints or resignation rather than choice. Primarily, retirement was associated with awareness of a declining state of health, with tiredness and with the strains and pressures of the work situation. Positive expectations of retirement seem at best to fulfill a secondary or supportive role. Reluctance among men to retire was associated with anticipated deprivation， mainly of money rather than of attachment to work. Among women, on the other hand, work-based friendships were the main reasons for not wanting to retire.
2. Under the law of competition, the employer of thousands is forced into the strictest economies, among which the rates paid to labor figure prominently. The price which society pays for the law, like the price it pays for cheap comforts and luxuries, is great, but: the advantages of this law are also greater than its cost—•for it is to this law that we owe our wonderful material development, which brings improved conditions in its train. But, whether the law be benign or not, we cannot evade it; of the effect of any new substitutes for it proposed we can not be sure; and while the law may be sometimes hard for the individual, it is best for the race, because it insures the survival of the fittest in every department. We accept and welcome, therefore, as conditions to which we must accommodate ourselves, great inequality of environment; the concentration of business, industrial and commercial in the hands of a few; and the law of competition between these, as being not only beneficial, but essential to the fixture progress of the race.
帮助最不发达国家发展是中国长期坚持的政策。长期以来，中国政府一直在联合国大会、联合国贸发会议、世界贸易组织谈判等多边场合呼吁国际社会重视最不发达国家问题，维护最不发达国家利益。尽管中国也是发展中国家，有大量贫困人口，但我们向最不发达国家提供了力所能及的资金支持和技术援助。截至２０１１年底，中国累计免除５０个重债穷国和最不发达国家近３００亿元人民币的债务，承诺给予绝大多数最不发达国家９７％税目的产品零关税待遇。中国与联合国开发计划署共同发起成立了中国国际扶贫中心，在全球范围内分享中国减贫经验。中国为最不发达国家培训３万５千多名管理和技术人才，援建了大量医院、道路、饮水等基础设施，中国所做的一切都不附加任何政治条件。今后，中国将一如既往地支持最不发达国家的经济与社会发展事业，扩大投资与技术转让，增加援助规模，加强人员培训，促进最不发达国家可持续发展。(本文选自 温家宝总理在“最不发达国家与里约+20”高级别边会上的讲话 翻译硕士真题网注）
Helping the LDCs to achieve development is a long-standing policy that China has persevered with. Over the years, the Chinese government has called for closer international attention to the issue of the LDCs at the UN General Assembly, UNCTAD, WTO negotiations and other multilateral forums while striving to maintain their interests. Although China is itself a developing country with a large number of people living in poverty, we have provided the LDCs with financial and technical assistance to the best of our abilities. By the end of 2011, China had cancelled nearly 30 billion RMB yuan of debts owed by 50 Heavily Indebted Poor Countries and LDCs and undertaken to give zero-tariff treatment to 97% of tariff items of the exports from most of the LDCs. We have shared our poverty reduction experience with the rest of the world through the International Poverty Reduction Center co-founded by the UN Development Program and China. We have trained over 35,000 management and technical personnel for the LDCs and built a large number of hospitals, roads, drinking water facilities and other infrastructure projects there. None of what China has done for the LDCs has got conditions attached. Going forward, China will keep up support of the LDCs in their cause of economic and social development by increasing investment and technology transfer, scaling up assistance, intensifying personnel training and promoting the sustainable development of the LDCs.