I. Translate the following phrases into English or Chinese. (2X20=40)
1. ideological difference
2. foreign exchange reserve
3. marginal civilization
4. anti-abnormal competition statute
5. the principle of equality and mutual benefit
6. artificial intelligence
7. state assets
8. territorial sea
9. GATT(General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade)
10. aircraft carrier
II. Translate the following sentences into Chinese. (5X5=25)
1. Quality is wealth. More is not better. Better is better. You don’t need a bigger house; you need a different floor plan. You don’t need more stuff; you need stuff you will actually use. Eco-friendly designs and nontoxic materials already exist, and there’s plenty of for innovation. You may pay more for things like long-lasting, energy-efficient LED light bulbs, but they will save real money over the long term.
2. The US Fortune magazine once posed to its readers such a question in a questionnaire: if you were to choose again, what would you like to be? I would like to run a grocery store in the countryside, a high-ranking official in the military responded. People in other trades answered the same question in various ways. Some wished to run for president, others wanted to be diplomats, and still others cherished the idea of working in a bakery. Whatever they set their minds on，none was willing to remain what they are.
3. Surprisingly, tiredness may boost our creative powers. For most adults, problems that require open-ended thinking are often best tackled in the evening when they are tired, according to a study in the journal Thinking & Reasoning.
4. Apart from tears, only time could wear everything away. While feeling is being processed by time, conflicts would be reconciled as time goes by，just like a cup of tea that is being continuously diluted.
5. Some are deceived into thinking that people like to store up energy, to rest and save themselves as much as possible. Just the opposite. It is energy expenditure that is satisfying. Expending energy, in a sense，creates its own replacement-一there is no reservoir such that the more you use the less you have.
III Translate the following sentences into English. (5 X 5=25)
IV. Translate the following passages into Chinese. (2X15=30)
1. Although New York often imparts a feeling of great forlornness or forsakenness, it seldom seems dead or unresourceful; and you always feel that either by shifting your location ten blocks or by reducing your fortune by five dollars you can experience rejuvenation. Many people who have no real independence of spirit depend on the city’s tremendous variety and sources of excitement for spiritual sustenance and maintenance of morale. In the country there are a few chances of sudden rejuvenation-a shift in weather，perhaps, or something arriving in the mail. But in New York the chances are endless. I think that although many persons are here from some excess of spirit (which caused them to break away from their small town), some，too, are here from a deficiency of spirit, who find in New York a protection, or an easy substitution.
2. We always tell ourselves that our life will be complete when our spouse gets his or her act together. When we get a nice car, and are able to go on a nice vocation when we retire. The truth is there’s no better time than right now. If not now, when? Our life will always be filled with challenges. It’s best to admit this to ourselves and decide to be happy anyway. Then life would begin. At last it dawned on me that these obstacles were my life. This perspective has helped me to see that there is no way to happiness. Happiness is the way. So treasure every moment that you have. And remember that time waits for no one. So stop waiting until you finish school，until you go back to school; until you get married, until you get divorced; until you have kids; until you retire; until you get a new car or home; until spring; until you are bom again to decide that there is no better time than right now to be happy.. .Happiness is a journey, not a destination. So, work like you don’t need money，love like you’ve never been hurt, and dance like no one’s watching.
V. Translate the following passages into English. (2 X15=30)
1.开卷有益，是古人奖励读书的一句成语。从前读到一册坏书，读后每觉得为古人所欺； 现在多了一点智识，反过来又觉得古人的不欺我了。总之，好书读了，原有所得，就 是可以知道它的好处在哪里。可是坏书读了，而知道它的坏的原因与地方，岂不也是 一得？从前孔子说的“三人行，必有我师”之意，也不一定是从正的一方面着想，反过 来在负的一方面，也何尝不可以为鉴戒。因此，从前是非有定评之书不读的，现在却 马勃牛溲了，一例的都想看看了，这大约总也是一种进步的现象。
2.当今世界正在发生深刻复杂变化，和平与发展仍然是时代主题。世界多极化、经济全 球化深入发展，文化多样化、社会信息化持续推进，科技革命孕育新突破，全球合作 向多层次全方位拓展，新兴市场国家和发展中国家整体实力增强，国际力量对比朝着 有利于维护世界和平方向发展，保持国际形势总体稳定具备更多有利条件。人类只有 一个地球，各国共处一个世界。历史昭示我们，弱肉强食不是人类共存之道，穷兵黩 武无法带来美好世界。要和平不要战争，要发展不要贫穷，要合作不要对抗，推动建 设持久和平、共同繁荣的和谐世界，是各国人民共同愿望。