Part I. Translate the following English terms, phrases or abbreviations into Chinese. (15 points)
1. carbon emission
2. mass media
3. board of directors
4. shuttle diplomacy
5. bubble economy
6. industrial property
8. Trojan horse
9. United Nations Development Programme
10. certified public accountant
Part II. Translate the following passages into Chinese (60 points)
Passage One: (40 points)
The Charter of the United Nations Article 1
The Purposes of the United Nations are:
1. To maintain international peace and security, and to that end: to take effective collective measures for the prevention and removal of threats to the peace, and for the suppression of acts of aggression or other breaches of the peace, and to bring about by peaceful means, and in conformity with the principles of justice and international law, adjustment or settlement of international disputes or situations which might lead to a breach of the peace;
2. To develop friendly relations among nations based on respect for the principle of equal rights and self-determination of peoples, and to take other appropriate measures to strengthen universal peace;
3. To achieve international co-operation in solving international problems of an economic, social, cultural, or humanitarian character, and in promoting and encouraging respect for human rights and for fundamental freedoms for all without distinction as to race, sex, language，or religion; and
4. To be a centre for harmonizing the actions of nations in the attainment of these common ends.
The Organization and its Members, in pursuit of the Purposes stated in Article 1, shall act in accordance with the following Principles.
1. The Organization is based on the principle of the sovereign equality of all its Members.
2. All Members, in order to ensure to all of them the rights and benefits resulting from membership, shall fulfill in good faith the obligations assumed by them in accordance with the present Charter.
Passage Two: (20 points)
The object of this essay is to assert one very simple principle, as entitled to govern absolutely the dealings of society with the individual in the way of compulsion and control, whether the means used be physical force in the form of legal penalties, or the moral coercion of public opinion.
That principle is, that the sole end for which mankind are warranted, individually or
collectively in interfering with the liberty of action of any of their number, is self-protection.
Part III. Translate the following Chinese terms or phrases into English. (15 points)
Part IV. Translate the following passage into English. (60 points)
30年来，中国人民以一往无前的进取精神和波澜壮阔的创新实践，坚定不 移地推进改革开放和社会主义现代化建设，中国的经济实力、综合国力、人民生 活水平都上了大台阶，中国的面貌发生了历史性变化。中国成功实现了从高度集 中的计划经济体制到充满活力的社会主义市场经济体制、从封闭半封闭到全方位 开放的伟大历史转折。中国经济快速发展，人民生活从温饱不足发展到总体小康， 政治建设、文化建设、社会建设等领域也取得了举世瞩目的发展成就。在改革开 放的伟大实践中，我们深刻认识到，在当今世界日趋激烈的竞争中，一个国家、 一个民族要发展起来，就必须与时俱进、改革开放、着力发展、以人为本、促进和谐。